Posts:

March 2018 Special offers

New Year, new rules - we have a couple of special offers for home owners, landlords and tenants in North Kent. This month only! :

Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) - the "landlord's safety report" as people often call it - agent's and insurance company's most often requested inspection resulting in detailed 9-10 page industry standard safety report, every circuit thoroughly tested, every light, socket and switch checked. We have a special, easy offer:
£120 (incl VAT) for flats/houses up to 3 bedrooms

. No more inflated prices - doesn't get any fairer than that! .

Consumer Unit upgrades - replace your fuse box or upgrade your old consumer unit to brand new, up to date metal AMD3 compliant consumer unit
prices include tails, Henley and earth block where required, a brand new MK Sentry or British General manufactured metal split load unit with two RCDs and all the required MCBs:

Split Load (2 RCDs) + MCBs up to 8 circuits - £366 incl VAT
Split Load (2 RCDs) + MCBs up to 12 circuits - £384 incl VAT
Upgrades to earth and bonding arrangements depend on length and accessibility of gas and water pipes.
With the unit and accessories included, that's over a hundred quid off consumer unit replacement cost from the get go! Call us now on 077 9595 2000 or get in touch via contact page

Or use the contact form on this webiste. Happy New Year and see you on the road. :)

Add some LED lights to your kitchen, for that winter niceness...

Some LED strips over and under and undercounter LED lights to complement the furniture and voila - instant Xmas.

LED lights installed by The Resistance

And this, dear landlords, is why you can't let tenants...

.. talk you into their mate (Steve) adding a few sockets around the house on the cheap. Because when you do, things turn silly really fast. Seriously, sometimes I walk into people's houses and I feel like I'm in some sort of hidden camera gag show! And yes - that is a bathroom with socket under the sink, right next to leaking water pipe wrapped with a gaffer tape and a night shade in the sink lighting up bath tub for "better mood, innit"... Just... unbelievable.

What not to do in your bathroom

When boiler gets too hot

Yesterday attended a property in Essex where rodents gnawed through cabling. Naked wiring, very old fuse box offered very little protection, one little fire starter managed to close the circuit with his body and the whole cable turned into one giant heating element with copper core glowing red hot within seconds... Just unbelievable. Owner was very quick to disconnect power manually, but that was close call - incredibly lucky.

Boiler on fire

May 2017 Special Offers

/OFFERS NOW EXPIRED/

Safety first

As it’s April Fools today I’ll share another “ingenious idea” implemented few decades ago by the kitchen installers in one of the flats I recently inspected: “when you run out of green and yellow earth sleeving - don’t worry - simply grab any off cut cable from the floor and use the outer sleeving instead. Or penne pasta. Or whatever you find in the cupboard really.”

pasta insulation

Another phoenix

Only few weeks after I posted about upgrades of consumer units - my latest assignment involved me in an inspection of a two bedroom flat in Walthamstow. Resourceful tenant done really odd things to the installation for months (including use of light pendant as means of powering electric heater via some sort of Edison screw to three prong plug converter found in local corner store), then used random wire gauges to prevent fuses from tripping:

consumer unit fire again

The old consumer unit was upgraded to the new British General Amd 3 metal unit with RCBOs, all overheated wiring replaced, all the lighting circuits updated to energy saving LEDs and the entire installation tested top to bottom.

British General Consumer Unit

The things I find at work - March 2017

As an electrician I encounter incredible displays of Darwinism in action several times a week. It never stops to amaze me just how incredibly lazy people can get while installing electrical equipment in domestic premises. Below are two pictures of electrical connection found this week in a London flat and left behind kitchen furniture by some truelly ingenious and super laid back “professional” individual at some point in the early 2000’s.

consumer unit fire

The contraption pictured consists of a 2.5mm2 spur borrowed from ring mains in a bedroom, going into the back of a pattress with double socket fastened to it. The socket itself served as a junction box spurring into additional two radials - one serving fridge, freezer, dishwasher, washing machine and microwave and one serving all remaining kitchen sockets. So far so good. But when the installers discovered they forgot to connect cooker, hood and oven they decided to use the socket on the front to supply those too.

They must have run out of 13A plugs in the process, so they wired two flex cables: a 5m long 1.5mm2 extension lead and some random 1mm2 unearthed flex to one and the same plug and thusly powered the reminder of the kitchen appliances for the years to come. Without thinking much, they then hid this ingenious “one socket serves them all” implement under the kitchen sink where it waited in a growing wet patch of water leaking through old silicone for the inevitable to happen… Interestingly, it also looked as if at some point in the last 17 years someone “serviced” this “dual plug” by changing blown fuse inside…

How is that for regulation 526.3 “maintenance free connections” in inaccessible places? Look under your kitchen furniture for various horrors of yesteryear.

Upgrade your consumer unit

There are over twenty million electrical installations in domestic dwellings in the UK with electricity meter and consumer unit arrangement supplying the lighting and power in the property.

Every year there are numerous fires due to faults and wear & tear in domestic environment. The Amendment No. 3 to BS 7671, published in 2015 and “in force” since January 2016 introduced Regulation 421.1.201 in order address these issues and to increase the safety of consumer units and similar switchgear.

Regulation 421.1.201 requires that consumer units in new installations or where consumer units etc. are being replaced, shall have their enclosures made of non-combustible material, or be enclosed in an accessible cabinet or enclosure itself made of non-combustible material.

In short, all cosumer units installed after January 2016 must have their enclosures either made of metal or be encapsulated in additional metal chassis to prevent fueling the flames in the event of a fire.

Although it is NOT a requirement that all older non-compliant ‘combustible’ consumer units and switchgear must be replaced – instead, lanlords and tennants are encouraged to arrange an inspection of a domestic dwelling’s electrical installation by a competent person who will help them to make a decision as to whether the consumer unit and any associated switchgear are still safe and suitable for their function. Such a decision would be informed by the age, condition and installation circumstances of the domestic dwelling’s electrical installation. consumer unit fire

If you are concerned by the age of your consumer unit and live in Medway area The Resistance is currently offering “peace of mind” quick inspection services to landlords and tenants. And having never charged for unnecessary services - it is my personal promise that if your consumer unit is in good state and doesn’t require upgrading - you will be told so without any sales pitches. Our full Electrical Installation Condition Reports (EICR) start at £95 for a flat dwelling and consumer unit upgrades start at £290 including Amd 3 compliant, RCD equipped branded unit (British General, Hager or MK depending on size required).

Use contact form or phone details from the navigation bar above to get in touch.